Skip Licensing Merton
To place skips on the road you will need to have a valid skip licence first. It is an offence to place anything on the highway without the permission of the local Highway Authority (Highways Act 1980, section 169) apart from Red Routes; which are the responsibility of Transport for London, and a few privately managed roads.
Before you consider hiring a skip please be advised of the following:
- The skip must be licensed by us before it is placed on the highway
- We only issue skip licences to private skip hire companies - not to residents or builders/contractors
- The skip must be clearly marked with the skip company name and telephone number
- The skip must be lit overnight (to the standard the council requires)
- The skip must be in a safe and suitable condition, fit for use on the public highway
- The skip hire company must be a licensed waste carrier, registered with the Environment Agency
- Other licence conditions must also be met (variable upon each situation and established after site inspection)
If a skip is on the road without a licence, the skip hire company is liable to be prosecuted. If you encourage a skip hire company to deliver a skip before the licence is approved you may also be committing an offence.
We charge skip hire companies a fee to consider an application for a skip licence. The fees are not refundable after the 24hr cancellation period.
|Type of Licence||Fee|
|2 Week Licence Application||£35.00 per licence|
|4 Week Licence Application||£60.00 per licence|
Plus an additional charge for any skips to be placed in a controlled parking zone - please see below for details of charges.
Skips in controlled parking zones
If the skip is placed on the highway where parking controls apply, additional charges are payable for the suspension of these controls. These charges are paid on top of the standard fee and renewal fees stated above.
|Parking Restriction Type||2 Week Suspension Charge||4 Week Suspension Charge|
|on a single yellow line||£42.00||£84.00|
|in a residents parking bay||£42.00||£84.00|
|in a pay & display bay||£42.00||£84.00|
There are additional charges if a skip is to be placed in any of the following locations; these charges are calculated by Parking Services, who can also provide additional information about dispensation and waivers.
- Worple Road, Wimbledon (outside and opposite 'Elys')
- High Street, Wimbledon Village
- Church Road, Wimbledon Village
- The Broadway, Wimbledon
All The information in this blog post is from Merton Councils website and used as information for our customers